Songwriters, composers and lyricists are “self-administered” if they have retained the right to register their own musical works with The MLC AND collect their own mechanical royalties directly or through a business manager, accountant, lawyer or other representative/agent.
If you have assigned your rights to register your musical works and collect your mechanical royalties in the United States to a music publisher or administrator, you will not need to become a Member of The MLC. Your publisher or administrator will handle your collection and registration. If you work with a music publisher or administrator in any capacity, please check with that music publisher or administrator before becoming a Member of The MLC.
Preparing for Membership
The links below provide information on the next steps you can take to learn more about The MLC.
The MLC is pleased to announce that we have launched our new "self-service" sign-up process for The MLC Portal. This means you can now start the sign-up process simply by clicking the Connect to Collect Button below. Completing the membership sign-up process is the all-important first step you'll need to take to ensure you are in position to begin receiving digital audio mechanical royalties from The MLC when we start distributing them later this Spring.
Once you complete the sign-up process and have created your Member Profile in The MLC Portal, you'll be able to:
- Review detailed information regarding your existing works registrations;
- Edit those existing works registrations to make sure your data is as accurate as possible;
- Create and submit new registrations for musical works not yet registered with The MLC;
- Manage and update your contact information, banking instructions, and tax forms; and
- Invite other users from your organizations to set-up their own user accounts under your MLC Member profile.
Should you have any questions as you complete the sign-up process, please don't hesitate to contact The MLC Support Team here or by phone (615-488-3653).